Friday, March 9, 2012

Migrating Monarchs 2012


Did you see them today?  The wonderful migrating Monarch Butterflies.  I have been lucky to see them for a couple of years now.  Love watching them crossing the road as I drive and I waited in front of my house for a glimpse of them to fly by.

Monarchs are especially noted for their lengthy annual migration. In North America they make massive southward migrations starting in August until the first frost. A northward migration takes place in the spring. The monarch is the only butterfly that migrates both north and south as the birds do on a regular basis. But no single individual makes the entire round trip. Female monarchs deposit eggs for the next generation during these migrations.

I know, all you see is a little black dot in the picture.
Those suckers fly faster than I can get the shot.  Lol!
Here is a close up.  It doesn't do it justice.
Hope you got to see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment